Saturday, July 24, 2010

the Deseret News Marathon

Things I want to remember about this race:

Going to bed at 9pm and waking up at 1:45 am to get ready.

Boarding the last bus at 3:45a.m.

Finally getting in to the porta potties and secretly wondering if I could get away with hanging out in there for a couple was freezing out there.

Talking to two incredible runners and wishing I could be like them.

When I hit mile 3 and my legs were already feeling like jello. I hadn't prepared for the steep downhills. I tried not to panic and tried to take it one mile at a time, hoping all along that my legs wouldn't buckle.

Soon after, I saw a steep uphill that went on for a long time......and I was actually glad that I could use different muscles. I persisted on jogging and not walking the whole way.

Soon after the long hill, things turned steep again downhill, and I was able to break away from the two most annoying chicks. Seriously, I respect those run/walkers. They make great time. But hate, when I am the poor soul they pass and fall behind. I had to jog around them so many times. And hearing their loud hits on the pavement made it worse. I felt like they were competing with me and it made it hard to concentrate on my running. It was taking a tole on how I was feeling emotionally about my running. Once that downhill came, I increased my pace, all the while I could hear them trying to pass me up. The last time I saw them from the corner of my eye was during a switch back and I really forced myself not to look their was freaking me out. I never had to see them again.

Hitting mile 9 and experiencing excruciating pain on the inside of my left foot below the ankle. It came on gradually and persisted to get worse. I prayed. A thought came to my mind to take my shoe insert out and tighten up my shoelaces. It came to me a couple times before I actually stopped and did it. The pain was gone. It came back towards the end of the marathon. I believe the damage was done. The roads were really curved and it was hard to find a flat strip. My ankles were bent funny and may have a stress fracture now.

I carry a water bottle when I run. I get panicky when I don't have water and I'm thirsty. It's like torture on top of torture. I was running low on water but an awesome lady was giving away water bottles from her car. She saved me.

The time one of the volunteers filled my water bottle up for me. I kept jogging and he was so kind to run up to catch me. So many angels along the course to be thankful for. Every clap, every smile, every cheer, and word of encouragement carried me along.

Hitting mile 13 at 2:20. I was o.k. with that considering how challenging the course was and how my body was feeling.

Seeing someone I thought was Chris, and crying. Such a dork.

Seeing an old man hobbling through the marathon. He inspired me.

Hitting mile 20 and counting down.

Running through the parade and feeling the vibes.

Seeing the 25 mile marker. Just 1.2 miles left. It took me 15-20 minutes to do, I think.

Crossing the finish line. The joy of being done.

I got chocked up all along the course. It had to do with the pain, fatigue, humility I was feeling, thinking about my family, thinking about the amazing athletes around me and just the mere fact I was doing a marathon.


  1. wow! you rock girl! good job... tony

  2. talk about getting chocked up, I teared up watching your finish *sniff*. You are truly amazing and when talk about all the inspiring people you saw along the way well… YOU are inspiring. Way to go!!

  3. That's so sweet, thank you :0)